Monday 19 September 2011

Let's JAM

I used to love making my own jam when I was still living in Germany and the other day I thought why not give a try again.

My most favourite spread ever is banana jam...
Yup, you read that right. 

A nice piece of fresh bread with butter and banana jam and this girl is is heaven. When done correctly, banana jam is fluffy, like mousse. Only problem is, it looks like someone puked all over your bread.

Once you overcome the fact that the jam looks disgusting, it becomes addictive (unless you are Mr P who thinks that anything other than strawberry jam is just not worth mentioning).

First things first, a trip to Ikea was in order to get some good quality but yet cheap jam jars (I better not mention that quite a few other bits jumped into my shopping cart, of course totally against my will. I HATE that this always happens to me).

Once back home I got the bananas chopped and set on a low heat in a Teflon-coated pot. After a while of stirring (with a wooden spoon) they started to get mushy.

Soon after, I added preserving sugar and stirred the mixture until all the sugar was dissolved.
Now it started to resemble the sick I was talking about above.

Once I brought the mixture to the boil, I lowered the heat and let it simmer for a while.
Them I poured it into my jar and let it cool down for a few hours. Afterwards the lid was closed and the jam stored in the fridge - yum!

But as I said Mr P was not so hot on the banana taste, so I promised him I would make him some strawberry jam....but then we came across these when we were on a hike last week:

We were both so excited, picking blackberries along the country roads we walked along. I hadn't done that since I was a kid and couldn't wait to get home so I could turn them into jam.

At least they don't look like sick.
And the blackberry jam certainly tickles Mr P's fancy :)


4 comments:

  1. Never ever heard of banana jam, but how cool is that? You are so multi-talented, my friend. I have no idea how to do such things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. puke toast, how fun! lol...never heard of banana jam and not sure i'd like it...but it sounds like you had fun making it :) the blackberry looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgosh banana jam sounds delish, never heard of it!
    will have to give it a try! thanks Kim!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg I never thought of making banana jam! My son would go ape! (ha!) Thanks for linking up love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment - I do appreciate it a lot.