Saturday 28 May 2011

Spring Home Decor

Today, I am posting for Donna Salazar Designs with a fun step-by-step tutorial on how to create this spring-inspired home decor.

**click on image to enlarge **

In addition to your favourite {{Spring In Bloom}} papers, the {{Crafty Chronicle}} and {{Smooch Spritz}} you will need the following tools and products to re-create this project:
  • Paper trimmer/scissors/craft knife
  • Double-sided adhesive tape
  • Scoring board/scoring tool
  • Reinforcement rings
  • Journaling pen in black and white
  • Trims
  • Ink
  • Edge distressing tool
First, choose the paper for the main body of your concertina tag stand- it really does not matter what the size is, as it depends on how big/wide/tall you would like the stand to be. As Donna's papers are all double-sided you will need to check carefully which side you want to be the main focus of your stand, as the paper will be folded over at a later stage.

For this example I choose the {{Peachy Dream}} paper and trimmed it to a height of 7.5" and left the width at 12"
Score the paper at 2" intervals and fold into a concertina

I wanted the gorgeous flower/butterfly motif to be on the front of the tag holder, so I scored right underneath the page across the width of my paper to allow a fold over, like so:
Once I was confident that all my scored lines matched up perfectly, I added double sided adhesive tape to the bottom part of the tag holder. Just make sure that you only place the tape along the folded lines to create pockets to hold the tags.

I then took one of my all time favourite chalk inks from {{Clearsnap}} in dune and dark brown to outline the edges, removed the backing form the adhesive tape and folded the paper over:
The next step was to create the tags, which I decided to cut from the {{Spring Blooms}} paper as I adore the burlap texture of it and the embossed glitter swirls add a sweet touch to the tags. Using an edge distresser such as the {{Distrezz-it-All}} will add a worn look, which compliments the overall texture of the tags. I finished the tags by running Cat's Eye Chalk in in dark brown along the distressed edges and stuck some reinforcement rings around the holes
Now I could start to decorate the tag stand to my hearts content, by hand cutting many elements from various papers and adding them with foam adhesives to achieve a slightly raised look.


These little tag stands are so easy to create and it took me a total of an hour to get this project finished. This would make a great gift for any occasion.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed my first step-by-step project for Donna's blog





Products used:
Papers - Donna Salazar for GCD Studios:  Peachy Dream * Crafty Chronicle * Spring Blooms
Inks/Paints/Glue - Donna Salazar for Clearsnap:  Pralines and Cream Smooch Spritz * Cat's Eye chalk inks in Dune and Dark Brown

Additional products: unknown trims and reinforcement rings, Zig Millenium writer in black, Helmar Zap Dots, KIGloo, Uniball Signo pen in white

1 comment:

  1. wow girl, this is beautiful!!! you're so creative :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment - I do appreciate it a lot.