Friday 27 July 2012

FP - The Dude's Socks

Hu??

Where the heck did these spring from? They were never even mentioned as a WIP....

One of my goals for this year was to knit a pair of socks and I never thought I would manage it quite so quickly.
See, {I did crochet quite a few pairs} previously and while I like to wear them in the colder months around the house, they are not really that comfortable inside shoes. And to be honest, knitted socks look so much nicer.

There are many blogs I follow which showcase wonderful knitted socks and I have tried a few times to cast on a pair only to fail at the gusset. Whenever I picked up the stitches I was left with visible holes and no matter what I tried, it just did not work out.

So I checked online tutorials, looked for various different methods on how to best to the heel turning and just like it did with the granny square (after months of failing to grasp it) all of a sudden it clicked and was no longer an issue.
And I even mastered the Kitchener's Stitch so much better than for my {Hoodie}

The only problem I have with the socks is that they are a touch too loose for me. They look fine in the picture but as soon as I walk a few steps they start to ride around and will give me blisters.
The good news is that they are a perfect fit for Mr P - so he is a happy bunny with his first pair of knitted socks.
You can find all the details about the Dude's socks {here}

For more finished projects hop over to {Tami's blog}

14 comments:

  1. Very nice socks. (One of my secrets is I've never knitted any socks either. Will have a look at that pattern.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Congratulations on your first pair of knitted socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely! Congratulations on your first socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are awesome. I still have to knit a pair of socks but I really don't like dpns so I have to master the magic loop first

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are really awesome. I want to make socks too. But I am struggling with Dpns... They are such a pain. Perhaps I will learn magic loop

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! That is a great yarn for socks. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are you first pair of knitted socks? Woah! They look absolutely perfect! I hope that you know go sock crazy and knit many more gorgeous pairs for us all to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for the sock knitting! They're wonderful! And if you enjoy the process and want to knit more, maybe consider toe up- no kitchnering OR holes at the gusset cuz there are no stitches to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are AWESOME! And yes, practice does make perfect. Almost every new pair of socks I knit is a bit better than the last.

    btw, if you machine wash and dry them, they might shrink a little and fit you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have given me much needed hope for my first pair :). These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great! I've been waiting to tackle socks too. I have a pattern bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color! The only reason I learned to knit was for socks...I crochet a whole lot of stuff, but not socks...I'm still working on the fit for my feet....I have skinny feet..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment - I do appreciate it a lot.